The Internet has a significant amount of resources, providing up-to-date information from a variety of sources. From a rough search on Google with the keywords "career placement test free" I turned up a variety of sites. I found one article from alec.co.uk that has a listing of some of these tests and a description for each. Below is an excerpt of the beginning of the article:
I haven't looked through all the links in the article, but two of them are broken; however, the rest work just fine. Since many of these are trimmed down versions of tests that cost money, I recommend you be cautious on entering any requested personal information. I would also be cautious on spending money on a more thorough test without considering the legitimacy of the website.To be happy and successful in your working life, it’s important that you ensure your abilities, values and personality are well matched to those needed for your chosen career. On top of that, they need to align with those of the organisation you’re working for.
Lots of people are now turning to free online career tests in order to assess themselves. They are quick to complete and can help you discover your strengths, in terms of your skills, knowledge and personal qualities. They then offer you an individual analysis (usually computer generated) and some recommended career options.
Another resource is also just looking at listings for jobs that you are interested in. I found that collegegrad.com contained listings of careers and also salary.
We all come from different levels of experience and talents, so you might fit a job that you never knew existed. These links are of what I found in a limited amount of time, so search for more if you are really interested.