We need your help to make the blog better! If you have information or jobs that you would like to post, send an email to bringthebaconhome@gmail.com

Monday, October 20, 2008

Monday morning

Hello everyone!

I noticed that this blog gets the most visits Monday, so I will be making a post every Monday that should give some information, advice, or even encouragement.

Therefore, at the beginning of the week, you can start with something.

I saw an article on about.com that mentions five job hunting tips. They are focused towards the job hunting website linkedin.com, which is like facebook for job hunters and networking professionals. I haven't personally used the site, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. Anyways, here's the five tips below:

Update your resume and establish your online presence. LinkedIn allows you to post your extensive work experience and relevant awards or activities. You may be surprised to learn how many recruiting executives use online networks to locate potential candidates.

Reconnect with former colleagues and current coworkers. The more connections you acquire, the higher the chance of building new relationships and finding job leads specific to your network.

Research companies you’d like to work for. LinkedIn, unlike other social networking sites, gives you access to over 200,000 Company Profiles, ranging from Fortune 500 companies to philanthropic organizations.

Get recommendations. Your profile not only lets you post a virtual resume, but it also provides a space where recommendations from coworkers or former colleagues are displayed. Headhunters check out recommendations to gauge your level of experience and areas of expertise.

Find out more about industry trends and hot topics by using LinkedIn Answers. Answers allows users to ask industry experts questions and find inside ways to approach new markets. It’s a great tool to solicit input and gain perspective from your connections or from the broader LinkedIn community.


This might be a good way to link up with people you previously worked with. This can definitely help you find a job. I know that it works, because the job I have right now was because I was strongly recommended by one of my professors in grad school.

Have a good week job hunting!